Monday 25 October 2010

Shave and a Haircut



An inner voice started whispering something about it being time for a haircut around the time O insisted on having his hair put up for dinner. It's always been a debate: go to the gym or stay home and cut O's hair. One option makes me feel healthy, the other just makes me feel anx
ious and itchy. Finally Friday night I managed to find energy enough to do both.

Haircuts have always been a bit of a struggle-- nothing epic, which means they're also nothing a bit of youtube can't handle. We brought up O's favourite video. You got it-- MahnaMahna (I've never felt comfortable with spelling it that way but whoever posted the video clip did). O is a bit obsessed. We had to put him on MahnaMahna detox after I came home from the hospital with S. O's sitter had let him watch it for about a half hour straight and it took us two weeks to get the high out of his system.

So we set up the laptop, set up youtube, and I fired up the beard trimmer. Nothing but class around here. Things went pretty well until Andrew asked me to trim up some longer hairs that hte clippers hadn't gotten around his face. He went to get the scissors for me to use but I figured I'd give it another pass with the trimmer. Problem was I'd forgotten that I had taken off the clipper guide to trim around O's ears and neck. I started to take a pass at the longer hairs with the trimmer but the look of horror on Andrew's face accompanied by a very loud, "WHAT ARE YOU DOING????" stopped me before I got too far.

Instant flashback to when I was cutting Lauritz's hair in high school and did the same thing. Fortunately for O, he just looks like he has a bit of early onset male pattern baldness-- on one side of his head. We blended it a bit and it doesn't look nearly as disastrous as Andrew's reaction would have led me to believe. Unfortunately for Lauritz, I'd started on the side of his head and just made him look like he had mange. I'm not sure how long it took for him to forgive me, if it's ever happened.

Here's O getting ready to do the big reveal.

Sneak peek.


Should I put a matching bald spot on the other side just to even things out?


3 comments:

Heidi Lyn said...

Hilarious and adorable! He's so grown up.

Holly said...

So cute! I love his new short hair, even if some of it is a little too short. I seem to remember that Lauritz haircut. Good times.

Yo' Mama said...

Oh my goodness! What a handsome fellow!