Monday 18 October 2010



See that fine looking piece of technology? Who wants one of those? I did. Who got one of those? I did. Who is absolutely terrified to take it out of the box and actually use it? I am. Most expensive piece of desk decoration we'll own. Right next to the most expensive bookend we'll ever own, formerly known as our iPod (it's spirit is gone but it's body remains to hold various notebooks upright and in their place on our desk).

A wonderful man at Andrew's work decided to work a bit of his Catalan charm with the mobile phone shopgirl that he thinks has a thing for him. Apparently she does because he managed to wrangle up free iPhone 4's for himself, me, and Andrew when his name is called on the list we were on. Mine came Friday. I was a bit too sick and stressed to be very excited but eventually after the wee ones were in bed, I opened it and touched it. Beautiful. I loved it. And then the warnings came. As I caressed it and thought of our possibilities together, Andrew started to tell me about every review he'd read and every horror story he'd found about people who dropped it from ankle height and had the glass shatter. And how even some cases were no good because a speck of dirt could get in between the case and the phone and start working scratches into the glass that will eventually shatter it. And so I figured maybe touching it wasn't the best idea.

So here it sits. On the desk, in the box. I came home today and the box lid was off and it made me quite nervous all afternoon. I kind of jokingly told Andrew he'd made me a bit paranoid and afraid to use it. Instead of reassuring me, he quickly came back with a very sincere, "You should be." When I tell my friends this, they laugh. But then I realized that none of my friends have two little kids under 2 years, with one that has an incessant need to see rhinos on his father's smartphone.

The apple website was no comfort. They have a little video about the iPhone that shows the glass being put through its stress tests. At one point they bend the glass to an angle that would be about the angle my grandmother could make when trying to bend to put on her shoes. Not an impressive angle for a piece of paper, but for glass it's good. The only problem is that it was being bent at about the speed my grandmother could go when trying to put on her shoes, not the speed with which a toddler who wants to see rhinos would grab it and drop it.

At about 4.30am this morning I got a text message on my old phone saying my iPhone was all activated and ready to go and my stress level for the day went seriously up as I contemplated parting with my old phone and riding off into the future with my beautiful, sleek, and oh-so-fragile iPhone 4.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

My bro has an iphone4 and from the way he talks about it, it isn't as fragile as you make it sound. He also doesn't have a toddler. I feel the same way about expensive technology although with me it's better likened to expensive purses. I have some in the closet that I like to look at occassionally because I can't bear the thought of drool, crackers and milk all over them. They would, however, bounce back much better than technology should I spill something on them or drop them from ankle height - or knee height in my case. :)

Andrew and Marie Benson said...

I was going to say I might rather have an expensive purse than the iPhone but then one of the bonuses of the phone for me was being able to play music in our iPod dock in the nursery. Purse can't do that. Although a purse would last longer and survive more droppings.