Friday 2 March 2012

Rough Week

Last Saturday things started getting rough. S came down with a stomach bug that Andrew had as well. Poor Andrew couldn't throw up so he didn't get much relief from his discomfort but S didn't have that problem. Our boys don't get a lot of stomach problems, thankfully, but when they do it's just a day or two of whining (boo) and extra long naps (yeah).

On Sunday I figured a day of rest spent resting would right my little man and we'd all be ok. S was sick but not too sick so it wasn't too terrible of a day.

But then Monday morning I woke up to news that my cousin Mike had been killed in a car accident. Mike was one of my cousins closest in age to me on my mom's side of the family. I always loved hanging out with him and his sister who was just a year older than him. He was one of those guys who was always ready to joke around and have fun but never in a way that made you feel bad. Any time we had any kind of get together I always really looked forward to catching up with him. So many fun memories of family vacations with him and his family. Monday was a rough day.

I had high hopes for Tuesday. But Tuesday morning it was clear S was not getting better. Four days without really eating anything was taking its toll and I was in a bit of a haze over my cousin. On Sunday all S wanted to do was be held. On Monday all I wanted to do was hold him and beg him to never leave me. On Tuesday, spending all day sitting on the floor in my lap seemed like a pretty good plan to S and by Tuesday afternoon he was too weak to do anything else.

Wednesday we took him to the pediatrician and by that point I fully expected to be told to take him to a hospital. He would drink periodically but only water-- wouldn't take anything else. And he'd have rice in the morning and then nothing the rest of the day. To bolster my spirits a bit, I stopped in a fancy little sweet shop and picked up some croissants. S decided these were the only thing in the world he should eat. Didn't seem like a good idea on a day that started with him waking up vomiting at 3.30am but he kept it down and the pediatrician didn't send us to the hospital.

Thursday started with another 3.30am wake up, this time for diarrhea. By then S was so weak at some points during the day he could barely walk. He would just emit this low whine while resting his head on my lap. When I'd dress him there was no muscle resistance and his skin felt baggy on his little body. There didn't feel like much difference between picking him up and picking up Jules. Luckily that afternoon he started making a bit of a turn around.

Friday was another day in. Thankfully it involved some food consumption and no 3.30am wake up. But just as S was coming into the clear and I could exhale with a bit of relief, we got word that our nephew took a serious fall and ruptured his spleen. He is the sweetest boy, a month older than S and with the most beautiful gold locks. I don't know if it broke my heart more to think of the pain he's in and the scary situation or to think of the worry and pain his parents would be feeling on his behalf. I had gotten myself to the point of a migraine with stress over S and his stomach bug was nothing compared to this. I'm anxiously checking the computer every few minutes for any news and breathing prayers on his behalf in between. I know not many people read this blog, especially not many who aren't already updated on his condition, but if you have stopped to read and don't mind joining your prayers to ours, it would be appreciated. I know that Heavenly Father hears them.

T

2 comments:

Yo' Mama said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. Mike sounds like a wonderful man. We'll definitely have everyone in our prayers.

Andrew and Marie Benson said...

Mike was great and it's still weird to think he's gone. I forgot to mention that in the midst of this most fantastic week our hot water heater went out for a few days. Seemed like the least of our concerns but did not make life easy.