Wednesday 7 November 2007

A Little More Normalcy

I doubt anyone still checks this blog after my rambling about La Merce and then my long periods of not posting. I'd really meant for this blog to be a place to write regularly about all the silly little things that best describe what it's like here for anyone who has asked. It seemed like Merce was such a big weekend that it was a chore writing about it and I'm sure more than a chore reading about it. Thank you and I'm sorry to anyone who read through it.

Andrew and I had been bugging Mushtaq and his girlfriend Justine (they're in the picture we posted earlier) to take us clubbing. Neither of us have ever really been out on a real European clubbing night since Andrew doesn't count his and Aaron's attempt at Bulgarian salsa night. The weekend after Merce we decided it was time to bust out our dance moves. After spending the night with friends we headed out to the club around 3am. Mushtaq and Justine kept warning us that the real clubbers didn't come out until around 4am so we were prepared for some down time. Unfortunately that's all the night was. Our great clubbing adventure consisted of us running up and down the stairs to see which of the two dance floors was the least boring. Justine gave up at one point and stood in the middle of the dance floor glaring at the DJ. At times she was the only one on the floor so you'd think he'd have understood something was wrong. It was kind of like a church dance with more alcohol and less Village People.

We finally gave up after an hour of dancing just like we did at church dances only with a lot more self-consciousness. You know the dancing where you just step from side to side, the calling card of those of us who have never really danced outside of an LDS cultural hall. It only looks worse the older you are because at some point before you're able to frequent clubs you are expected to learn some other moves which I clearly have not.

6 comments:

Michelle said...

Marie, I am still reading your blog and it wasn't a chore to read about La Merce. I'm anxious to hear about successful clubbing experiences. I know of a club in Leon, Spain that was jumping every weekend night. We lived right above it and would fall asleep to the rhythmic beating of the music every Saturday night and then walk to church amongst polka dots of vomit. I loved your explanations of church dances because that's exactly how I remember them. Hope you and Cheech are well. We can't wait until Christmas!

Andrew and Marie Benson said...

Yeah! I got a comment. Thank you Michi. You're my blogging role model since you actually put things up regularly and they're entertaining.

Michelle said...

I try to post regularly since you might be the only one that checks back frequently. I hate to disappoint. However, I don't know that I would say my postings are entertaining...mediocre at best. We've become boring married people. I'll try to find things more entertaining to post.

Andrew and Marie Benson said...

I love your postings. They remind me of how much I love you guys and miss just hanging out.

Anonymous said...

Well done, Marie and Andrew. I'm surprised to hear your description of LDS dances you've been too. I thought it was only the more senior singles dances that were so pathetic. (Just forget I made that comment. I know the stake is searching for a new Single Adult Leader and you know what happens when you criticize a program or event.)

You know, I'm not sure I get this blogging thing. Am I supposed to be entertaining too?

Love, Dad

Andrew and Marie Benson said...

Don't worry about being entertaining, Dad-- I certainly don't. That might not make for a good blog but I'm just so excited you've read the blog and even commented.