Monday 22 October 2007

The Next Weekend- Monday





This was the final day of La Merce. We decided to celebrate by consuming unholy amounts of churros and watching the best fireworks show ever.


By our apartment there was a little carnival set up that had a churro stand filled with every kind of churro you could imagine. There were churros dipped in chocolate, mini churros, giant chocolate churros stuffed with custard, giant regular churros stuffed with chocolate cream, churros stuffed with strawberry cream, churros dipped in chocolate with strawberry cream. You get the picture. My arteries are clogging just thinking about that night. Andrew went plain and simple with a quarter kilogram of plain churros while I decided on the chocolate dipped churro stuffed with custard.


As we walked over to the fireworks, I actually found myself eating some of Andrew's plain churros to alleviate the heaviness of my churro. What does that tell you? I don't know why I thought dough deep fried in cheap oil and then coated with waxy chocolate before being stuffed with custard that has been sitting out in the sun all day would be a good idea. Andrew ended up debating if giving the rest of his churros to a homeless man would be seen as an act of mercy or an act of cruelty given the health problems they would be sure to incur.


The only thing that took our minds off of the grease coating our digestive systems was the best fireworks show ever. I'm still debating if it really was the best fireworks show ever because Andrew and I did see a really good one over San Francisco Bay which was the best fireworks show ever up until that point. I'm not sure if this one trumps it or ties it. The show took place at the Magic Fountain, a giant fountain by the National Palace that puts on a water show set to music every weekend. I put up the photo above because you can see the palace and the fountain below the fireworks. The street surrounding the fountain was absolutely filled with people and speakers all along the street blasted the music that the fireworks were set to during the show.


My ability to describe fireworks is pretty lacking so I won't even try. There were a ton and they were almost always perfectly timed to the music. At the end of the show they just let loose with the loudest fireworks they had for quite a while. It looked like a war zone. With so many people in the plaza it took us nearly forty minutes just to walk a block or so but it was well worth it. And so ended La Merce. Now I can actually post normal blog entries about all the other boring stuff that makes up our life here, aren't you excited?




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

'Twas beautiful.

What is the history of La Merce? What does it celebrate?

Love, Dad

Andrew and Marie Benson said...

If I'm remembering correctly, it's the patron saint of Barcelona, or something like that. Once again, it seems like more of an excuse to party and walk around the streets spraying people with fire than anything. I don't think I once heard anyone mention that poor saint.